number of nfsd processes to start

Monty Mullig monty at delphi.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 27 10:13:02 AEST 1989

The man page for nfsd suggest that "four is a good number" of nfsd process
to start, but doesn't give any further information on how to choose the
best number to start.  We have 10 diskless clients and about 20 PCs
running off of a 4/280 and our diskless 3/50s have recently begun to run
noticably slower (we just added 4).  Should we increase the nfsd processes
?  our 4/280 has one controller on each drive, with the client swap
partitions on a rimfire controller and a hitachi 892 MB drive.  we have 32
MB on the 4/280.