help - 4.0.3 troubles

P. Glassenbury cantuar!pete at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Dec 8 14:26:10 AEST 1989

We have a sun3/60 server and a sparcstation server with some sun3's and
another sparcstation as clients off the sparcstation. They are all running
SunOS 4.0.3 . We got an official B class ip number and have recently
changed to it with a netmask of 255.255.0.0

The sparcstation and one 3/50 client works fine, but the other sun3
clients all hang going into multi user mode. They all work in single user
mode.  They all appear to have the same files in their root space.
Rpc.statd and rpc.lockd both die, saying they can't register their
services.  Then we get "NFS server not responding" messages, even though
the NFS discs mount fine(by hand on the clients).  Also ypbind and portmap
are both running.

Any ideas about the solution, or even about how to better define the
problem :-), would be welcome.

Also, we have our mail directory on one server with all the suns sending,
or using NFS, to append mail to that mailbox.  Sometimes we get bounced
messages saying: