network routing

Jim Trice trice at asta.pa.uky.edu
Mon Dec 11 04:53:11 AEST 1989

I have a small problem with the network setup here. I am running a subnet
off the main campus ethernet branch via a sun 4/280 running SunOS 4.0.3.

		  University              Local
		       |                     |
		       |                     |----Sunb
  World___ Proteon_____|                     |
	   Router      |                     |
		       |----- SUN ---------- |----- PCs
		       |                     |-----
	   Main _______|                     |
	   Frame       |                     |
		       |                     |----- Ridge32
	    etc________|

The university is set up as a class B network without subnetting. I have
gotten around most of the problems by running proxyarpd on ie1 and routing
defaults to the proteon. Both interfaces are set with class C netmasks.
The only problem is that packets going to machines on the university net
which do not happen to have the same class C domain address get routed
through the proteon resulting in allot of unnecessary redirects.  I have
tried to route add class C subnet addresses to ie1 but when I issue the
"route -n add SUBNET GATEWAY" command it treats the target address as a
host and not a network.

	     Any suggestions?
					Jim Trice