What are IE dogresets ?

R.P.Almeida rpa at ukc.ac.uk
Thu Dec 28 07:27:29 AEST 1989

We have a Sun 3/160 machine with two IE ethernet interfaces acting as an
IP gateway between 2 subnets.

The gateway seemed to be going 'deaf' for a while, so I wrote a program
that displayed the stats kept by the ie ethernet driver.  (see
/usr/include/sunif/if_ievar.h)

On the interface that seemed to be deaf the field 'es_dogreset' is slowly
incremented. It is 0 for all the other IE interfaces in all the other Suns
that are on the network.

The header file comments es_dogreset as "iedog resets"

Does anyone know what this means ? Is it caused by a hardware problem or
is it normal behaviour for a second ethernet interface ?

I don't read this newsgroup, so an email reply would be appreciated.