avoiding obsolescence

Matt Jacob mjacob at sun.com
Thu Dec 21 19:54:21 AEST 1989

There is no modern, Unix based, 32 bit virtual memory paging system that
works in under 8mb. By modern, I mean all the covergence of both BSD and
System V crap that everyone, even University folks, want. NeXT couldn't do
it. Neither could DEC.

I am not pleased with our performance viz. memory, but I can't do too much
about it. 4.1 (you didn't hear it from me) will be a tad better than
4.0.X, but the *glory* days of 3.5 may not be acheived.

I'd hate to lose you as a customer, but if you like, I'll sell you my home
512kb LSI-11/23 system (runs 2.9 BSD). It is also slower 'n snot.

-matt jacob