Using YP to change passwords

sequent!jsc at cs.utexas.edu sequent!jsc at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 20 12:31:37 AEST 1989

I've just brought up a network of 6 Sun 3/80's running SunOS 4.03 and a
resume tracking system called RESUMIX.  One station acts as a file server,
the other five are diskless.  When a user logs into a client, and uses
yppasswd to change their password, the password gets changed in the YP
database, but the client is not updated until the next time root pushes
the passwd file with yppush.  The support folks tell me this is the
functionality of 4.03.  Is that true?  Is so, how do some of the rest of
you work with this?  Do you put yppush in crontab?  I'm new as a Sun
administrator, and your help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Scott Carr
Sequent Computer Systems
(503) 526-5940