Disks for 3/50's

Timothy H Panton. westhawk!thp at relay.eu.net
Wed Dec 20 21:42:25 AEST 1989

You should analyze your problem _very_ carefully. My experience of 3/50s
is that they are almost always constrained by lack of memory (grace a
SunOs 4) If this is the case then adding the UFS + SCSI disk code to their
kernels will make things worse (don't remember how much). I'd say that the
only point in getting local disk is if your server/net are clogged. Even
in that case it might well be worth spending the money on the server or on
more memory.

If you do end up getting disks and have a competant hardware guy about I'd
reccomend the following:

	1x Maxtor 4170S (170Mb 14ms SCSI disk) @#800
	1x PC Xt case + psu (Mini tower?)	  @#100
	Cables etc			  @# 50

I've been running just such a set up for a year or so on a 3/50 that
wasn't netted, works well.

> Is there any observable single-user difference between 20ms and 60ms disk
> access times?

Well I noticed the change between 28ms and 16ms so I'd say yes.