Interpretation of the "new" SCSI Device Numbers

Michael J. Edelman michaele at zephyr.ens.tek.com
Thu Dec 21 12:20:24 AEST 1989

I just received my new Sparcstation (a Sun 4/330), and was rather
surprised when I found out that my two SCSI disks were sd2 and sd6 instead
of sd1 and sd2. I could not find any relevant documention that explained
the reasoning behind this.

It was even more confusing when I found that the boot device was defined
as "sd(,18)".  The system device is sd6.  I have no idea how they get from
sd6 to unit 18 in the boot command.

Does anyone know the "logic" behind the new SCSI device numbering scheme?

Please e-mail response to me and I will summarize to the net if there is
enough interest.

Thanks
Michael Edelman
Tektronix, Inc.