VT100 emulator survey results

Dan Kegel dank at moc.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 4 05:53:06 AEST 1989

A month ago, I asked about VT100 emulators.  I found quite a few of them;
here's a list of them.

Name		Environment	Source
vttool		any terminal	Ftp from sun-sources at titan.rice.edu
NCSA teltool	many		Ftp from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
TE100/vt100tool	sunview?	Offered for sale by Sun Microsystems
xterm		X		X Window System distribution
crttool		sunview		To be published in comp.sources.sun,
				but can be requested from
				arizona!olson at modular.edu

Here's a matrix of features supported by the various emulators I have tried:

		vttool	teltool	crttool
---------------------------------------
VT200?		no	no	yes
Tektronix 4104?	no	yes	no
hardcopy?	no	yes	no
132 columns?	sorta	yes	yes
graphic chars?	sorta	sorta	yes
double-wide/hi?	no	no?	yes
scrollback?	no	yes	no
Font size ctrl?	no	no	yes

Vttool was written to provide minimal VT100 functionality in the simplest,
most portable possible way.  If you aren't running a windowing system,
this is for you.  It also comes with a wrapper that runs under Sunview
which provides programmable onscreen buttons, but this isn't nearly as
important as the basic VT100 stuff.

NCSA Teltool was written to provide Telnet remote login services combined
with VT102 and Tektronix emulation.  It runs on many platforms.  It's
kinda overkill if all you need is a VT100 emulator, but it works.  The
Sunview implementation is a little fragile.

Crttool was written by Jon Olsen to provide a VT200 emulator that runs
under Sunview.  Because of its narrow focus, it is the nicest of the lot,
IMHO.  This is the one I use now.

I have not seen nor tried xterm nor TE100.

Thanks to everybody who responded, you really helped me out.

- Dan Kegel