DOS on Suns?

Steven Mikes smikes at hound.att.com
Wed Dec 6 09:26:16 AEST 1989

I seem to have read somewhere recently that it is possible to run MS-DOS
in a "window" on Sun workstations (not the 386i, but Sun 3's and 4's.)
What I would like to know is what type of "windows", Sunview or X11, or
others?  Are there more than one DOS systems available from multiple
vendors?  What is the maximum screen resolution capability for DOS on Suns
(i.e. 640x480, 800x600, or EGA/VGA, etc.)?  Can MS-Windows be successfully
run under this/these version(s) of DOS?  What is the cost involved?

I am relatively new to the Sun platform, that is, I have been away from
the latest developments since my recent activities have kept me busy with
hardware platforms from *other* vendors; my most recent knowledge is in
need of being brought up to date about Suns.  If any vendors (such as
VARs) intend to reply, please send me any literature you have via FAX
(201-560-8635) or if FAX is not possible or convenient to the address
posted below.

Thanks in advance:
tsm