Disks for 3/50's -- Info requested.

Greg Rivera stdc01!rivera at mcnc.org
Fri Dec 8 09:09:31 AEST 1989

We would appreciate any and all info concerning hooking up cheap (<1k$)
hard disks to our Sun 3/50's.  Hardware sources, performance, formatting
methods, and software drivers are of interest.  Historic/hysteric
anecdotes welcome.

We are looking into cheap ways to improve the performance of our net of
3/50's.  Rather than buying more ($$) servers, we are looking at either
adding memory (thanks to previous postings) or using the SCSI port
somehow.  For example, can we hook up a small (40-100 Mbyte) PC-SCSI hard
disk and use it for swap space?  Is there any observable single-user
difference between 20ms and 60ms disk access times?  Are there any other
(bin,system) files that would be good to place locally?

Thanks for all info/leads.
Gregory Rivera            Email:       ...{!sun}!rti.rti.org!stdc01!rivera

[[Ed's Note: v8n196 contains a review of 'cheapo' disks which is right
on target (<$1k) for you. Most of the disks in that range seem to be PC
disks, but there were some interesting comments. -bdg]]