vmstat always says no avm

Timothy Reed fsg!treed at uunet.uu.net
Fri Dec 22 02:50:07 AEST 1989

I don't recall ever having vmstat report any active vm in use a Sun,
though free memory is always reported (I assume!) accurately - at least
theres a >0 number there!!  I may be missing some important concept here,
but this sounds broken.  Does anyone in netland know for sure?  (Can
anyone with source tell me what's broken and why.)

This happens on everything from Sun in version 4.x.x.

 procs     memory              page              faults                  cpu
 r b w   avm   fre  re at  pi  po  fr  de  sr s0 s1 s2 s3  in  sy  cs us sy id
 2 0 0     0   248   0  1   6   0   1   0   0  3  0  0  0  84 117  56  4 14 82
           ^

Appreciated...

Tim Reed
Fusion Systems Group, Ltd.