Can you run an NFS server with 4MB in 4.0?

Craig Jackson drilex1 drilex!dricejb at husc6.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 2 07:50:01 AEST 1989

We have a Sun 3-160 and a Sun 3-180, each with 4MB.  The 3-160 runs as an
NFS server, and an RJE server.  The 3-180 runs as a news server and an NFS
server.  Both are running SunOS 3.x.

We are looking at upgrading to 4.0.3.  (NSE 1.2 finally came out, so we
can do so.)  Can I run an NFS server with only 4MB in 4.0.3?  How about a
general timesharing machine (news, etc.)?  Nobody is running Emacs or
Lisp--most of the diskless stations are running Interleaf.  We are
upgrading them to 8 MB, as their paging is already loading down the net
under 3.4.

We're sort of late coming to 4.x, so I'd like to check with those who have
gone before us.

Craig Jackson
dricejb at drilex.dri.mgh.com
{bbn,axiom,redsox,atexnet,ka3ovk}!drilex!{dricej,dricejb}