Strange system lockup

Mitchell S. Gorman felix!arcturus!mitch at hplabs.hp.com
Thu Dec 28 04:06:49 AEST 1989

I walked in this AM, to find one of my systems locked up.  An 'L1-A' combo
did NOT clear the problem; checking my ethernet card revealed that the
diag lights were behaving very strangely.  This is the second time that
this has occurred.  The only thing that will clear it is either a power
cycling, or a flick of the reset switch on the back of the ethernet card.

	The error message that dmesg reports is as follows:

mt:
trap address 0x8, pid 1832, pc = f8086308, sr = 2314, stkfmt b, root ptr 931400
Bus Error Reg 0, MMU Status Reg 403
data fault address 38 faultc 0 faultb 0 dfault 1 rw 1 size 1 f0 13 4 0 0 f80ef740 2000 ffffffff

There follows a display of A0 thru A7, and a traceback.  I'm omitting that
for brevity.  If anyone would find that helpful in giving _me_ some help,
let me know, I'll [post|mail] that out.

Does anyone have any idea what this one might be from?  As I said, this is
the second time it's happened, the first being December 7.  Any hints on
preventing future recurrences would be GREATLY appreciated!

	Mitch (@arcturus.uucp)