SLIP via Telebit on 3/50 + 4.0.3

weiser.pa at xerox.com weiser.pa at xerox.com
Sun Dec 3 07:39:38 AEST 1989

My experience with telebits and other "smart" modems that try to packetize
internally and do compression is that they do not do well at all with
SLIP.  I suspect the reason is that TCP is also packetizing and estimating
round-trip-times (RTT's), and the modems generally are tuned for terminal
interactive mode, and so TCP gets very confused.  I have heard of a
Telebit SLIP mode, but have no definite informatin.  Also, older TCP/IP
implementations (prior to 4.0.1 for suns) did not have Jacobson's and
Karel's TCP RTT estimation improvements, which make a huge difference on
any but the most trivial uses of slip.  (E.g. they make a huge difference
when rcping two files at once, or typing during an rcp).

-mark