getwd() call problems

Laura Pearlman rcc!pearlman at rand.org
Fri Dec 22 08:35:07 AEST 1989

In article <3880 at brazos.Rice.edu> lamy at ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:

> Using trace(1) you can easily determine that getwd() will not follow
> symbolic links.  So you can avoid this problem by making sure that all NFS
> entries in /etc/fstab are actually symbolic links (i.e. mount on  the
> symlink -- mount will follow the symlink at mount time and mount on the
> directory referenced by the symlink).

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but I don't see how this could
possibly help the situation at all.  If the /tmp/.getwd file is out of
date, the getwd function stats each mount point found in /etc/mtab; when
the mount program mounts a filesystem, it puts the real absolute pathname
of the mount point (not the name of the symlink found in /etc/fstab) into
/etc/mtab.

		-- Laura Pearlman
		   pearlman at rand.org