Problem with bind system call over slip link

Joel Replogle replogle at headroom.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 27 01:20:21 AEST 1989

Rob, my group has had no problems with running SLIP between a couple of
Suns and a Cisco terminal server.  We ran it with our own home- brew
version of SLIP (according to RFC 1055, of course!)...  to me is sounds
like either the SLIP software is bonkers, or perhaps the Sun configuration
is messed up.  It should definitely NOT be a point- to-point link,
thought, because it isn't.  The SLIP connection should look to your Sun
exactly like the ethernet connection.  The cisco is doing proxy-ARP for
you on it's ethernet interface, so to your Sun it should look like it's
directly connected to the cisco's ethernet.  The cisco tells you the SLIP
address, you should use that address when ifconfig'ing the interface.

To me, this part of your message looks like the problem:

>The only thing odd about my configuration is that the slip software on
>the Sun seems to want to use point to point links for the connection,
>but the Cisco terminal server running 7.?? doesn't.  I've told the
>slip software on my Sun that the IP address at the other end of the
>point to point link is the IP address of the terminal server.  This
>seems to work fine, at least for passing IP packets.

Joel Replogle
NCSA networking R&D