SPARCserver 330 and memory upgrades

Thomas Narten narten at cs.albany.edu
Tue Dec 12 09:01:51 AEST 1989

I'm trying to understand how the SPARCserver memory modules are put
together.  I'll start by stating what I think happens (corrections
please):

1) the server comes with slots for 8 chips; the default configuration is 8
1meg SIMMs

2) to add more memory, one must purchase a memory expansion card; it
contains 16 slots, and the server can support 2 expansions for a total of
40 slots.

3) Currently, Sun is the only supplier of the expansion cards (though they
will become available via 3rd party next year).

4) 1 meg SIMMs can be replaced by 4 meg SIMMs when they become available
-- which is now via 3rd party.

Questions:

1) Is the above description correct?

2) Is it possible to pull out the 1 meg SIMS and replace them with 4 meg
SIMS? (We're looking for an alternative to buying the expansion board).
If so, do all 8 chips have to be upgraded?  That is, can the server run
with only 4 4 meg SIMMs?  Has anyone attempted such a feat?

Thanks,
Thomas Narten