Need info about booting from the 2nd SCSI disk

Mark Benard mb at rex.cs.tulane.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:37:26 AEST 1989

I need information from someone who has actually done this.  I have gotten
various conflicting bits of info from Sun about how to do this, including
denials that it can be done.

I have two shoebox 71 MB disks (sd0 and sd2) daisy chained off of a 3/50
and I want to boot off of a kernel on sd2.  The current sd2 was originally
running on another Sun as sd0, so I know that there is an intact root
system on it.  I have adjusted the hardware so that the disk I want to
boot off of is recognized as sd2.  And I have booted off of the current
sd0 and run fsck on sd2a and no errors are reported.  But when I boot off
of sd2, it gets to the point of running fsck on root and fails because 'it
cannot stat sd2a'.  Any suggestions?

When it fails, it does leave root mounted as read-only so that I can see
that I have the root partition on the correct disk.  I have modified the
fstab file on this partition to correctly reference sd2, but all other
files are the same as they were when this disk was known as sd0.  Is there
something else that I need to modify, like another file or the boot track?