grayscale on sparcstation 1 possible?

dan at calarc.arc.ca dan at calarc.arc.ca
Mon Dec 11 13:53:12 AEST 1989

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get grayscale from a b/w monitor
on a sparcstation 1?  Ideally, I'd like to run one of the standard option
b/w monitors (17" or 19") on the 8-bit frame buffer in a color
sparcstation 1.  If this is possible, could 2 monitors (both b/w and
color) be driven simultaneously from the same sparcstation by splitting
one channel of the video signals after leaving the cpu cabinet?

And finally, I'd like to hear comments regarding the quality of the
various monitors available with the sparcstation.  In particular, is the
convergence on the color monitors good enough so that my eyes won't be
fuzzy after spending a full day reading text on several windows open
simultaneously (ie, small point-size fonts)?  Are the large monitors
significantly less crisp than the small monitors?

Thanks for your help!

	Dan Field
	...!calgary!arcsun!dan