Floppies on 386i?

Barsam Marasli eros!barsam at arizona.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:41:18 AEST 1989

We have a Sun 386i with 3.5" floppy. So far we haven't been able to write
anything on a diskette from Unix. It formats with fdformat without any
problems but can't get anything going with tar, cpio or dd. We tried
several device names such as /dev/rfd0a, /dev/rfd0c, /dev/fd0a, /dev/fd0c
without any luck.  The error message we get is something like:

	FD drv 0, blk 0: missing header address mark

Can anyone help us explain what we're doing wrong?  Please e-mail or post.
Thanks in advance.

Barsam Marasli
Internet: eros!barsam at arizona.edu or barsam at rvax.ccit.arizona.edu
UUCP    : ...{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!eros!barsam
Bitnet  : barsam at arizrvax