newfs: decreasing bytes/inode

Jon J. Brewster jjb at zeus.cs.wayne.edu
Thu Feb 23 05:43:22 AEST 1989

Both newfs and mkfs have a parameter which is supposed to allow the user
to vary the number of inodes created in a filesystem.  However, it appears
that the parameter has no effect, judging from the output of the command
-- bytes/inode seems to be pegged at 2048.  Does anyone know if this is
true?  (I.e., is it perhaps only the informational message that's fixed at
2048?  Slim hope, I know.)  We run out of inodes at about 60% utilization
on this one filesystem (/usr/spool/news) and decreasing the bytes/inode
seems the only remedy.  Oh, we're running 4.0 on Sun-3's.