Graphics on Suns (What configuration?)

Randy M. Rohrer rmr at mimsy.umd.edu
Tue Feb 14 15:43:41 AEST 1989

A colleague of mine asked me to post the following questions:

What model and configuration of Suns would you recommend for color
graphics applications involving lots of 2D vectors or 3D PHIGS
applications?

     - Sun 3 vs. Sun 4 ?
     - lots of memory? (>= 8 MB) ?
     - Sun CXP series vs. 3rd party boards?
     - SunPhigs vs. Raster Tech firmware PHIGS?

Any comments by anyone who has experience with the TAAC board or Raster
Technologies GX PHIGS boards?

I realize this is an open-ended question. Faster cpu, faster disk, lots of
memory ..... all the better. But how much so. Is it worth the extra $$ ?

We suspect that the answer is "it depends a lot on your applications."

The Raster Tech board is probably best for PHIGS stuff and the TAAC board
is probably best at image processing stuff.

Any suggestions or experiences in this area would be appreciated.

	Thanks,

	Randy Rohrer