Subnetting and Routing Problems

Michael Schmidt schmidt%cadlab at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jul 26 23:04:12 AEST 1989

After installing Class B Internet numbers with a subnet mask of
255.255.254.0 we encountered problems with routing. Perhaps somebody out
there can give us a hint.

Machines:

	SUN 3				SunOS 4.0.1, SunOS 3.5
	Apollo 3000/3500		AEGIS 9.7 (Networking version 3.2)
	Nixdorf Targon/35 (Pyramid)	TOS 3.3.03

I don't know, whether the Targon OS No. is the same, Pyramid called ist.
But I really would like to know that.

Network:

Apollo token ring, gateway Apollo on an Ethernet with Sun's and
Targon/35's, one of them has a SLIP connection to another SUN.

Situation:

Targons and Apollos get the routing tables of the Apollo. Fine.

Sun don't get the routing tables. Bad. Routed gets a response to its
request, but after 3 minutes, all is dead again. So apparently the Sun
don't get the broadcasts of the Apollo.

The Targon with the SLIP connection broadcasts over the SLIP. OK.  But on
the ethernet, nothing is heard by all the other machines.

What is going on here? Any idea?

    Michael Schmidt, CADLAB / FB 17, Uni-GH Paderborn, Bahnhofstr. 32,
                     D-4790 Paderborn, West Germany
Mail:   schmidt at cadlab.UUCP         or          schmidt at cadlab.cadlab.de