*Why* does SunOS-4.0 need more memory than 3.5?

Roy Smith roy%phri at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jul 22 00:31:12 AEST 1989

I gather it pretty much taken as a given that 4.0 needs more memory to run
than 3.X, at least in this forum.  What I don't understand is why.  It was
my understanding that with the shared libraries in 4.0, there should be
less memory required, not more.  Your typical suntools application is
500-700 kbyte of text space; presumably most of this is the suntool,
sunwindow, pixrect, and stdio libraries, which would be shared under 4.0.
So why does 4.0 need more memory?

455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"