Screendumps in landscape format

Howard C. Hart nova!hart at decwrl.dec.com
Tue Jul 25 12:47:16 AEST 1989

In article <169 at brazos.Rice.edu> dswt at stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) writes:

>The standard 'screendump | lpr -v' magic spell gives me a (very nice)
>print-out of my Sun's screen. However, it's in PORTRAIT format, ie.  the
>paper's top and bottom are the shorter sides. My question is how do I get
>a 90 degree rotated version of this - LANDSCAPE format.

No problem. Try this...

screendump | pssun -r -S 5.05 -l 1.0 1.0 | lpr -Plw

This will 1) dump the image then pipe it to 2) the transcript postscript
convertor which supports things like resizing and rotation, then pipe the
postscript image to your Laserwriter via lpr. The above assumes A) you
have Transcript software and a Postscript printer like an Apple
Laserwriter and B) that you want your image to fit on a viewgraph size
5.05 inches in width, rotated (-r) 90 degrees, left and right margins set
at 1 inch. You can play with your own settings to scale and rotate
accordingly. Word of warning...this holds only for black and white screen
dumps, it'll bomb on color machines, since they use 8 bits per pixel
versus 1 bit for black and white. There a number of tricks you can play to
get around this starting with grabbing some of the 8bit to 1bit dithering
converting floating around the net or if you don't care whether the colors
just disappear if there are more than 2 of them, you can add an additional
filter between screendump and pssun, that being Sun's generic rasfilter
program. (the dithering filter would go in the same spot). If you want
greater details or copies of dithering algorithms, give me a holler.

Howard C. Hart                  UUCP:{sun!sunncal,pyramid}!leadsv!laic!nova!hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.
Orgn 59-53, Bldg 593            Ph: (408) 743-2253 or -7353
Sunnyvale, CA 94086