Matrox Frame grabber

Ryutarou Ohbuchi ohbuchi at unc.cs.unc.edu
Thu Jul 13 06:02:04 AEST 1989

A while ago I have posted a solicitation of info. in comp.sys.sun about
frame grabber for SUN4.  Now, I am looking at Matrox MVP-S, a color
framegrabber that has propriatery 'Digital Expansion Bus' running at
10MByte/s in addition to VME bus.  The expansion bus is for the daughter
image processing accelarator board, and I am trying to take advantage of
it. I hope that The Digital Expansion bus allow me to read images out at
frame speed, to Pixel Planes 5, through special bus repeater. (Assuming I
can build the interface.)  Also, in the development phase, I can use VME
bus connection to develop algorithm on SUN-4.

Now, I have two questons.

  1) For somebody who has Matrox MVP-S.  Is Matrox MVP-S good ?
     (According to a source, it is pretty good.  I just want to make
     sure in spending my grant money.)

  2) This is a hard question.  Has anybody tried to hook up something
     through Digital Expansion Bus mentioned above ?  If there is,
     what is the experience ?

Please email the comment and experience.  Thanks in advance.

Any opinion expressed here is my own.
Ryutarou Ohbuchi	"Life's rock."   "Climb now, work later."
ohbuchi at cs.unc.edu	<on csnet>
Department of Computer Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill