Upgrading to Sun OS 4.0.3

Jonathan Geld GELD at mail.physics.lsa.umich.edu
Thu Jul 13 00:00:00 AEST 1989

Recently we received from Sun OS version 4.0.3 upgrade kits.   We have had
the 4.0 kit for a while now but have delayed upgrading due to all the bad
reports we have heard about bugs and problems with OS 4.0 and 4.0.1.

We are currently running OS v. 3.2 and are seriously considering upgrade.
What I would like to know is if anyone has some caveats to look out for
that might stop us from upgrading.  We have a 3/160 running as a server
for 13 3/50's.  The server has 8MB of memory while the clients all have 4
MB of memory and are diskless.  I seem to recall reading that 4 MB of
memory might not be enough to run OS 4.0.x well, if so just how bad are
the slow-downs with respect to 3.x?  Also, since the clients are all
diskless, is there a significant increase in ethernet traffic under 4.0.x?
I ask this because joining our suns on the ethernet is a Local Area
VaxCluster of 11 machines which causes the net to already be running at
20-30% of bandwidth.

Thanks in advance for any information/advice anyone can give, and I will
be glad to summarize all the info I get to the net.

Jon Geld
Systems Manager
University of Michigan Physics
geld at mail.physics.lsa.umich.edu		- INTERnet