Terminal servers and ethernet bridges

Sridhar Acharya sytek!syteka.ARPA!sridhar at hplabs.hp.com
Tue Jul 11 04:44:46 AEST 1989

>From MARDEL%VMSAC.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
>Subject: Terminal servers and ethernet bridges
>
>we are looking for a terminal server , connected to our ETHERNET LAN ,
>allowing connections between asynchronous terminals and either TCP-IP or
>VAX hosts .
>
>We are also looking for a filtering bridge to connect two ethernet
networks .We want it to be able to filter frames by protocols (XNS ,
>TCP-IP or XNS ).
>
> If you have any experiences of such devices , would you give me some
> references about them?
>
> Thanks in advance .
>
>  Would the manufacturers give the adress of their distributors in FRANCE?

The following is our product information:

The 8080 is Hughes Lan System's local ethernet bridge.  Version 2.0 which
is about to enter Beta test and will be shipping in the September, will
meet and exceed the requirements outlined.  The 8080 is a filtering and
learning adaptive bridge which offers protocol specific filtering
capability including TCP/IP, XNS, IPX, V2, DECnet and others.  The 8080
will also filter on either source or destination addresses to provide a
greater degree of control over the network in terms of security and
traffic management.  Management of these bridges is accomplished either
through the serial interface port or in-band with the 9100 Sun based
network management station.

HLS also sells other similar ethernet bridges.  The 8011 is a remote (T-1)
ethernet bridge which will do all of the above and then some. The 8200 is
a backbone bridge system which will connect any number of ethernet subnets
across a high performance broadband backbone.  Again these two bridges
offer the same protocol filtering and address filtering and a number of
other exciting capabilities.

The 4208 is HLS's multiprotocol terminal server supporting TCP-IP and LAT
protocols.

Our distributor in france is:

Rebus Communications, Paris.
Attn: Claude Bergerol