extending the max number of open files.

William Quayle billq at cbnewsc.att.com
Sat Jul 22 15:33:55 AEST 1989

>From article <193 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by meulenbr at cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks):
: Can someone tell me how I can extend the max. number of open files?  I've
: obtained a program which opens a lot of files, and I would prefer not to
: modify the program.
:
: Regards,
: Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr at cst.prl.philips.nl)
: 	Centre for Software Technology
: 	( or try: ...!mcvax!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)

The max number of open files is compiled into the kernel, and is
determined using the "MAXUSERS" parameter in the configuration file.  We
bump MAXUSERS up to 32 on our clients with no ill effects, although this
was not possible in pre 3.5(?) releases of the SunOS.

In /usr/sys/conf.common/param.c, the MAXUSERS parameter is massaged into
providing relevent numbers for number of processes, open files, inodes,
and stream data structures.  According to Sun, these are all related
enough to be based on the "magic number."

DISCLAIMER: The material contained in this is the opinion only of the Author.

William R. Quayle       | ...!attmail!billq
M/S 2E-221              |
AT&T Bell Laboratories  |
2000 N Naperville Rd.   |
Naperville, Il. 60566   |    312-979-3137