16" trinitron monitors

Daniel Robert Ehrlich ehrlich at shire.cs.psu.edu
Sat Jul 8 01:38:46 AEST 1989

In article <4149 at kalliope.rice.edu> deke at ee.rochester.edu (Dikran Kassabian)
writes:

   Recently, we began to order our new stations with 16" sony
   trinitrons, in hopes that this would be a higher quality display
   more suited to our CAD applications.  Unfortunately, we learned
   that there was a feature we hadn't counted on... two thin
   horizontal wires (one about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the
   screen, the other about 2/3 of the way down) which we have since
   learned are "normal" and are there (I think) for mesh
   stabilization.  Yuck! These visible wires interfere with our work.

When we pointed these out to IBM (they also use the Sony Trinitron) we
were told that this is a design feature and not a design flaw.  It was
pointed out that if the screen were being used for a TV then then lines
would not be a problem, but when being used for VLSI design and layout
they are a BUG!!

   Now for my question(s).  Does anyone know of other high quality
   color monitors that will be "plug compatible" with our 3/60 and
   3/80 workstationa?  If so, perhaps you could pass on a phone number
   or address so that I may look into pricing and availability.  Also,
   for those who now use the trinitron, have you found a way to
   minimize this annoyance?  Can anyone comment as to whether future
   trinitrons will be available without this feature?

What about Hitachi or Mitsubishi?

   Please respond by email.  I'd be happy to summarize if there is
   sufficient interest.  Thanks in advance.

      Deke Kassabian, deke at ee.rochester.edu or ur-valhalla!deke
      Univ of Rochester, Dept of EE, Rochester, NY 14627 (+1
      716-275-3106)

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at shire.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |