Help needed: clearing the 68020 cache.

Ole Agesen agesen at daimi.dk
Thu Jul 6 19:26:13 AEST 1989

Help needed....

The MC68020 incorporates an on-chip cache memory. The cache is used to
store the instruction stream prefetch accesses from the main memory.  I'm
currently implementing a kind of incremental linking implying the need to
write self-modifying code. Therefore, I have to clear the cache upon a
modification of the code. According to the MC68020 User's Manual the cache
is cleared by issuing a MOVEC instruction (move control register).
However, this is a privileged instruction (requiring supervisor state).

Can anyone tell me how to clear the cache?
  Can I get supervisor privileges for a user process?
  Is there a kernel operation clearing the cache?
  Can I easily create a modified kernel with the desired operation?
  Other (more) realistic possibilities?

(We are using Unix 4.0 on sun 3/50).

Thanks in advance!

Ole Agesen