Typesetter-Independent Troff on a Sun-4

Steve Grandi grandi at noao.edu
Fri Jul 21 04:01:40 AEST 1989

Has anyone ported the AT&T Typesetter-independent Troff package (also
known as Device Independent Troff or DWB) to a Sun-4?  I have both DWB-1
and DWB-2 (properly licensed!) but compiling them on the Sun-4 results in
an immediate segmentation violation.

When Kernighan rewrote Troff into Typesetter-independent Troff, he
utilized a pair of routines fdprintf and sprintf as scaled down versions
of the library routines.  Unfortunately, these two use variable numbers of
arguments accessed through a stack pointer which is a no-no on the SPARC.

So, before I go in with my machete and hack and slash this stuff into
shape with varargs(3) (or switch back to the library routines), has
someone already done the work?  I haven't even got to any possible
alignment problems yet!

Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
Internet: grandi at noao.edu             SPAN/HEPNET: NOAO::GRANDI (NOAO=5355)