Subnetting and Routing Problems

Terry Kovacs tktk at physics.att.com
Fri Jul 28 23:39:59 AEST 1989

> After installing Class B Internet numbers with a subnet mask of
> 255.255.254.0 we encountered problems with routing. Perhaps somebody out
> there can give us a hint.

During a recent subnet conversion there was real confusion about what the
"proper" broadcast address should be.  Some gateways were using 1's in the
machine address and others 0's.  Sun's ifconfig allows you to specify the
broadcast address and defaults to machine address 0's.  I don't know if
that's your problem, but it's worth looking into.

Terry Kovacs
AT&T BL Murray Hill