floating-point execution times

Michael Kappel daitc!IDA.ORG!kappel at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jul 18 01:09:37 AEST 1989

I am seeking execution times for the floating-point arithmetic operations
of square root and exponentiation on a Sun workstation.  For the Sun 3
with MC68881 coprocessor on double precision arguments, I have:

    3.68 microseconds for addition
    5.28                  multiplication
    7.84                  division

For the Sun 3 with Floating Point Accelerator, I have:

    1.20 microseconds for addition
    1.30                  multiplication
    4.40                  division

If you have performed your own timing trials for square root and
exponentiation, please send me your results and describe your method.  If
you know of a source in the literature or sales brochure, please inform
me.

                                  Mike Kappel
                                  George Washington University

Internet   kappel at ida.org