ethernet problems

Mark Benard mb at rex.cs.tulane.edu
Sat Jul 29 03:42:04 AEST 1989

We are getting error messages concerning the le0 ethernet interface on a
Sun 3/50 running OS 4.0.3.  The error messages are logged sporadically and
appear in pairs as follows:

le0: Recieved packet with STP bit in rmd cleared.
le0: Recieved packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared.

We thought that it was a transceiver hardware problem and the local Sun
hardware service person agreed;  but changing the CPU board has not
helped.  We even moved the system and placed it on a different piece of
thin wire cable.

The problem has only appeared since we upgraded from 3.5 to 4.0.3 a couple
of weeks ago, but another newly upgraded system does not show the same
symptoms.

Any ideas?

Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb at cs.tulane.edu
Tulane University                  USENET:   rex!mb
New Orleans, LA 70118