Mathematica pricing gouging on Sun

Casey Leedom casey at gauss.llnl.gov
Wed Jul 12 13:28:49 AEST 1989

  However much I hate to say ``me too'', I must agree whole heartedly
with Alan Stebbens (aks at hub.ucsb.edu) when he says:

| However much [extra performance one can expect on a Sun over a Macintosh]
| is true, Mathematica had very little to do with the performance of the
| Sun relative to the Mac -- ostensibly you are already paying Sun for the
| performance increase.  It makes no sense to me to pay a software vendor
| more money for a product just because it runs on faster hardware.

Sun should reconsider their bogus pricing.  I will certainly recommend
that we do *NOT* purchase Mathematica for our 1600+ Suns at Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory.  I don't mind paying for good software, and
I don't mind paying maintenance fees as long as they're reasonable.

Sun, Please unbundle basic price from, problem/bug response and upgrade
service, from twit response (twit response == any time you are forced to
respond RTFM).

Casey