Best Ada editor?

Rick Randall rick%beowulf at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 21 16:17:15 AEST 1989

I'd be interested in hearing of candidates for the smartest Ada editor
currently available for SunOS programming.  Today I had a demonstration of
Telesoft's new TeleARCS facility, and while I am impressed with the
direction of the product, there are a number of things I wish it did
better - and still others it doesn't do at all.

The main things missing (in my opinion) were:
	1. Integrated Mouse Support, in both the text editor
	   and in the facility as a whole
	2. Use of SunWindows:  the windowing they have implemented
	   so far is targeted at conventional character
	   terminals (e.g. VT100)...everything is tiled
	   in a single window via horizontal areas that cannot
	   easily be resized on the fly.
	3. Much smarter text editor, including the ability to
	   suppress the display of Ada blocks (such as while
	   loops) so that the user can view the higher level
	   logic with less of the lower level detail

What TeleARCS does do for you is tie the editor in with the compiler (not
as smootly as Turbo Pascal, however!), allow you to jump to referenced
units or to declarations of referenced variables - simply by positioning
the cursor and pressing a function key; allow you to browse through a
quasi-graphical depiction of the unit-dependency network; etc.  Pretty
good all in all, but much better things to come.

Any other candidates?  Anyone used ADADL?  Is ADADL usable for actual
program development?

	Rick Randall    EECS Department
			University of California, San Diego

			rick%cs at ucsd.edu