A Comparison of Commercial RPC Systems

Joshua Levy joshua at atherton.com
Tue Jul 18 12:58:31 AEST 1989

I've finished work on a paper entitled "A Comparison of Commercial RPC
Protocols" which I gave at NCF: The Network Computing Forum, and also as a
work in progress at USENIX.

It compares RPC (Remote Procedure Call) systems from Apollo, Sun and
Netwise for speed and dependablity.  I'm posting the paper (in troff
format) to comp.misc, so interested people can get it.  If you can not get
comp.misc, then please send me email, and I'll send it to you.  I can also
send a plain text version, for people who do not have nroff or troff.

I'm also thinking about follow on work to compare data representation
techniques (Sun's XDR vs. Apollo's RMR vs. Netwise's ASN.1).  If you would
like to help (especially if you use Apollo's NCS) please email me.

Joshua Levy
--------                Quote: "If you haven't ported your program, it's not
Addresses:                      a portable program.  No exceptions."
joshua at atherton.com
{decwrl|hpda|sun|pyramid}!athertn!joshua  work:(408)734-9822 home:(415)968-3718