newfs -m options

lad sdl!lad!lad at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jul 11 23:40:49 AEST 1989

> From article <4243 at kalliope.rice.edu>, by dinah at shell.com (Dinah Anderson):
> We have several 1 gb disk drives and it does not make a whole lot of sense
> to reserve 100 mb (10%) for space threshold. Has anyone reduced this
> number and if so to what percentage and what are the consequences of doing
> so? Thanks.
>
> Dinah Anderson

I have recently used the -m option to reserve half of the normal 10% on 2
of our 892 MB disks.  We've only been running on these disks for about a
month, but so far I haven't been sorry I did it.  Instead of losing 88MB
to free space I picked up about 45MB extra space on the disk.  Since we do
not run quotas I don't ever see this being a problem.

         Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
         uunet!sdl!lad                   |       15 Independence Blvd.
         Cash-We-Serve 76127,104         |       Warren, NJ 07060
         MABELL:  (201) 580-0102         |       Ext. 283