SunMathematica: the CPU is the computer

Steve Christensen chrstnsn at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 12 03:57:32 AEST 1989

Before you send our Sun Mathematica back, I suggest you get all the facts.
Sun no longer sells Mathematica.  If you send it back and later decide you
want it on a Sun, you will probably pay A WHOLE LOT MORE than you paid to
Sun since you will be buying it from Wolfram Research.  Further, the
performance of Macs is so slow compared to most Suns, you may not be able
to run a large application.

If you have Mathematica for the Macs, you can run the front end on the Mac
and the kernel on a Sun.

Finally, like a great deal of software sold by workstation vendors, the
vendors must license the programs in the way demanded by the software
distributor and have very little control over such matters.

Steve Christensen
Beckman Institute
University of Illinois