sync SCSI performance

Ray Brownrigg ray at dsiramd.dsir.govt.nz
Thu Jul 27 06:28:30 AEST 1989

I see from the glossy "Sun's Low-Cost Mass-Storage Options" that the
synchronous-SCSI bus is capable of 4 Mbytes per second, but the table on
the back page specifies burst transfer rates of 1.2 and 1.5 Mbytes per
second for the 104MB and 327MB disks. Does this mean that one can obtain
much better I/O performance from a system with two 104MB disks than from
one 327MB disk even though the latter has faster access times and higher
transfer rates?

If true this would mean that the most effective disk upgrade option for a
network of SPARCstation 1's is to configure each SS1 with two 104MB drives
before considering any deskside storage. Comments?

Ray Brownrigg			domain: ray at dsiramd.dsir.govt.nz
Applied Maths Div, DSIR		ACSnet:	ray at dsiramd.nz[@munnari]
PO Box 1335			System:	OLIVETTI/AT&T 3B2/400B+, System V R3.0
Wellington, New Zealand			"unx -rules -OK"