partitions (bad idea ??)

Eric Ho eho at cognito.princeton.edu
Wed Jul 19 16:32:43 AEST 1989

Has anyone out there worked on filesystems that either eliminates
partitions.  The only reason that I can see to have the notion of
partitions around from the OS standpoint is to limit filesystem size (& to
make a filesystem) and maybe easier for doing backups.  The problem with
this approach is that the layout is pretty static -- everytime you need to
change the layout or mostly partition sizes, you'll have to backup that
disk, run format and restore everything again.  This is pretty stupid
really -- I mean if I want to expand one partition/filesystem into the
space previously occupied by another partition/filesystem, why should I've
to go thro' all the backup/restore hassels.

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
voice = 609-987-2819 (x2987)	email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
					eho at bogey.princeton.edu