Wren V as boot device?

Max Ziff max at sophist.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 22 01:59:54 AEST 1989

Has anyone succeeded in making a Wren V the boot device for a 4/110?

We have a 4/110 with a Sun-supplied shoebox with 327 Meg drive and
cartridge tape, and we have bought another 4/110 with no Sun-supplied
devices (still waiting on delivery more than a month late, but that's
another story), for which we bought two Wren V's (CDC model 94181), one of
which we want to use as boot device.  We figured that since we already
have one 4/110 system, we could just hook up the drives to the old system,
copy root and /usr over to the new disks, then move the disks to the new
system and go.

The first part was easy, the disks seem to work fine, I've filled them
already with all the data we need to run the large database application we
have in mind.  While waiting for the new 4/110 to be delivered, I thought
I'd try to see if I could get the old system to boot from the new drive.
I powered down everything, then powered up the new drives and the cpu,
leaving the sun shoebox off.  I interrupt the autoboot process after the
memory check, then type:

	b sd(0,8,0)

There is a long pause, then the message:

	Illegal instruction "0x00000B78" was encountered at PC 0x00004004

(the two Wren V's are scsi devices 1 and 2 -- it took me a long time to
discover that sd(0,8,0) is what I should be typing -- sd(0,1,0) would
refer to the second drive in a Sun shoebox with two built-in drives).

It seems that this is a problem with the boot block, but I ran installboot
in the recommended way: I brought up the system on the Sun shoebox,
mounted the prposed new root on /mnt, then did:

	cd /usr/mdec
	./installboot /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/rsd1a

(my kernel is configured so that sd1 is drive 8 -- scsi target 1).
Installboot runs fine and reports "Boot block installed".  Has anyone run
into this sort of problem?  By the way, my local Sun people have tried
hard to help me but have so far come up with nothing.

Thanks,

Donald Ziff               ARTFL Project, University of Chicago
                          1050 E. 59th Street, Chicago, Illinois   60637
                          max at gide.UChicago.{EDU,BITNET,MAILNET,CSNET}
                          ...!uunet!mimsy!oddjob!gargoyle!tank!maxz