/var/spool/uucp sticky bit?

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Thu Jun 29 03:36:26 AEST 1989

|I'm pretty sure you mean the set-uid bit, not the sticky bit.  The
|sticky bit causes an executable image file to remain in virtual memory
|even after it has finished executing, so that it does not have to be
|loaded when run again.  It is common to do this to executables that
|are used a LOT like ls and csh.  Clearly this is meaningless for a
|directory.  The setuid bit, which is what shows up as an `s' in an ls -l
|means that for an executable it will run as the owner of the file, and
|the setgid bit means for an executable it will run under the gid of
|the file, and for a directory means that new files created in that
|directory will be created with the gid of the directory.

Under SunOS the sticky bit for a directory means that files in that
directory can only be deleted or renamed by their owners.  -David-

|=====

|Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
|weltyc at cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"

Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios at wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110