FORTRAN 1.1 SUNOS 4.0 with 6 patches still buggy !

Marcel Bernards ecn!marcel at nluug.nl
Tue Jun 20 20:54:37 AEST 1989

Hello SUN managers,

We got still trouble with FORTRAN 1.1 with the 6 patches applied.
it is a internal read problem with blank chars.
It causes to hang up the processor for tty input thats never coming
(except for ^C ;-( )
Perfmeter is on 100% CPU consumption.

Machine  : SUN 3/50
OS       : SUNOS 4.0
Language : SUN FORTRAN 1.1 With patches applied in libs

#include blanks.f
----------------INCLUDE-------------
	program blanks

c--- test internal read ( string to number )
c--- if only blanks in string then processor is waiting !!!!!
c--- YECH!
	character   string*10
	integer     number
c--- read string from stdin keyboard
 10	PRINT *,' Type sting between quotes'
 	READ *,string
c--- read a string into an integer
 	READ( string,*,ERR=999 ) number

 	PRINT *,' NUMBER : ',number
 	goto 10
c--- here print the string if conversion failes
 999	PRINT *,' STRING : ',string
 	goto 10
c---
 	end
--------- END of INCLUDE --------

Anyone has an idea if this one is a bug or a feature ??
one of our programmers encountered this one!!

Greetings

Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten, PHONE: 09 312246 4342 EARN/BITNET:ESU0130 at HPEENR51
EMAIL: marcel%ecn@{nluug.nl,uunet.uu.net},marcel at ecn.uucp ..!hp4nl!ecn!marcel
SCREAMNet : AAAAAARGHH!HUH?? : Disclaimer: "The AntiChrist is the Computer !"