Summus carousel cartridge backup tape system

Craig Petty DEX!craig at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jun 30 06:38:56 AEST 1989

In article <27474 at ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>Has anyone seen the Summus, or any other, carousel type cartridge tape
>system working.  I saw an ad a while back, but I haven't seen anything
>lately...

Yes.  For those interested, the "Juke Box Library" (JBL) is an autoloading
8mm 125-Gigabyte Storage System.  Or put another way, a carousel system
which can hold 54 cartridges (at 2.3 Gigabytes each) and two Gigatape 8mm
drives.

The system is available on a wide variety of platforms, including DEC
(Ultrix and VMS), Sun, Apple Macintosh, Compaq & IBM PC/AT compatibles,
and some UNIX based systems which have either a SCSI-bus or a
VME-backplane.

The units shipped so far have been primarily Sun units.

>...  Does anyone know what the address of the company is?

Summus Computer Systems
P.O. Box 219270
Houston, TX 77218

Phone: (800) 255-9638