sun - Vax

Scott Schwartz schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:11:20 AEST 1989

In article <4029 at kalliope.rice.edu>, news at riscy (USENET News System) writes:
>|we have recently acquired some Suns....
>|like a VT-200 (tm) terminal (of course.)  This makes certain things
>|difficult (e.g. editing with EVE and other screen oriented programs.)
>
>If you should ever decide to aquire some Digital workstations in the
>future...then you will never see problems like this one..from the very
>instant that you plug your machine into the network...

If you should ever sell your VMS machines you will never again see
problems like this one..from the very instant that you remove them from
the network.

But speaking constructively, NeWS comes with a VT102 emulator. Several tty
window managers (like the one called "screen" from the unix.sources
archives) emulate VT100s.  Under X, xterm is close to a VT100. None of
these are perfect, or exactly what you requested, but they may be good
enough most of the time.  Sun also sells a better VTxxx emulator, which
you can ask your salesman about.

-- Scott Schwartz
<schwartz at shire.cs.psu.edu>