Help With AWK

Henry McGilton -- Software Products henry at sun.com
Wed Jun 28 02:53:56 AEST 1989

James Murray and Bill Fulton correctly surmised that the version of awk
documented in the book `The AWK Programming Language' is somewhat
different from the plain version supplied with SunOS.

I just wish here to add a general reminder to everybody that there are
several books on the market purporting to document various features and
applications of UNIX.  These books are oftimes written by people with
access to as yet un-released versions of the applications running within
Bell Labs.  Obviously, the authors wish to make themselves look good by
writing about the newest, bluest, washes whitest versions of the software.

Examples that spring immediately to mind are the books on troff, pic, tbl,
and friends, written by Narain Gehani.  The programs described in Gehani's
books are versions not yet released outside of Bell Labs.