Problem with inetd on a SUN 386i

Ken Spagnolo K.Spagnolo at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jun 13 14:12:43 AEST 1989

Included in our PCNFS network, is a SUN 386i which gets queried to supply
different bits of information when someone logs onto the network, e.g. the
network message of the day.  We have several daemons set up on different
ports that are controlled by a second inetd rather than the system one.
The problem is that there seems to be no consistency as to where each
daemon must reside so that inetd can find it and fork it off when
requested.  We keep these daemons in a seperate area, rather than
/usr/etc, where the system daemons are kept.  This posed no problem for
netmotd, which fires off just fine.  We noticed, however, that udp_timed
would not work from the same directory and we ended up putting a link to
it in /usr/etc and telling inetd to look there.  This worked fine, so when
netinfod wouldn't go, we tried the same thing.  This time it didn't work,
even when we put the actual daemon in /usr/etc instead of just a link.  We
have tried telneting to the port in question, but always get "Connection
refused".  In summary, what we have is different configurations for
different daemons, and one which we can't set up in a way that will work.
Please note that this scheme has been running on a Pyramid as well as an
Ultrix machine.  Neither one has had any problems, nor do they care where
the daemons are kept.  Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?
Thanks in advance for any tips.

A piece of inetd.conf:

daytime	dgram	udp wait root	/usr/etc/udp_timed	udp_timed
netchpwd dgram	udp wait root	/usr/local/massey/bin/netchpwdd netchpwdd
netchpwd stream tcp wait root	/usr/local/massey/bin/netchpwdd netchpwdd
netmotd	stream	tcp wait root	/usr/local/massey/bin/netmotdd	netmotdd
netmotd	dgram	udp wait root	/usr/local/massey/bin/netmotdd	netmotdd
netinfo	stream	tcp wait root	/usr/etc/netinfod	netinfod
netinfo	dgram	udp wait root	/usr/etc/netinfod	netinfod

The corresponding piece of /etc/services

netmotd		801/tcp		netmotd		# Network Message of Day
netmotd		801/udp		netmotd		# Network Message of Day
netchpwd	802/udp		netchpwd	#    "    Change Password
netchpwd	802/tcp		netchpwd	#    "    Change Password
netinfo		803/udp		netinfo		#    "    Information
netinfo		803/tcp		netinfo		#    "    Information
netinfo-debug	1803/udp	netinfo-debug	#    "    Information (Debug)